Search This Blog

July 28, 2011

Cj4

Before Freeways and highways, Yes there was such a simple time, where the Big roads were two lanes, paved, and winding through our states in a weaved pattern depending on the landscape. Back in the day, my grand parents found a haven in the upper peninsula, it was pure clean fishing lakes, miles of tree lined roads and it was a 12 hour drive back then. My grand mother would head up and spend the summer up there and wait for my grandpa to arrive very late Friday, only to turn around an leave Sunday again. At some point, My grandpa decided we needed a jeep, One to take in the woods, for hunting, fishing and just diving into the 2 tracks that called. My Grandpa bought a Jeep, 1965 CJ4 off the line here in Detroit, The top speed he could go was 45MPH the whole way, on a 2 lane road, One north, one south. He sat in that jeep for well over 12 hours, not stopping at a motel, just driving to his destination. It was then, the CJ4 was parked in a new, wood built sided 1 car garage at the bottom of the hill. When I was born it was that jeep I grew up with, It was in the back I sat going down the 2 tracks and watching the nature burst around me. It was in that jeep I knew, I would one day learn to dive a stick shift, so I to could drive it through the woods, Going where only a small ATV could go. 4 Wheel drive? It had it, You have to hop out, and change each wheel on your own, one at a time, Lets hope the mud is Not to deep, But yes, this jeep is 4WD. The last 20 years have been hard on the jeep, It is an antique now, Has antique plates and to have it fixed is not only costly but, down right Remortgaging the house.



My Brother who works at the Big 3, took it upon himself to “Update” the jeep, a Towing apparatus on the front, New cloth seats, a CB radio and stereo inside……I was Not please. I liked the Hard plastic green seats siting on the side in the back siting on the hard cushions buttoned down to the metal, I liked the fact it was “Roughing it”. I am the baby, I had no say, and his 20 years on me was not going to go back to what simplicity I wanted. In my heart, it is still my grandpas jeep, the one my grandpa drove up north, the one that I used to spend hours with him in, trailing into town, living out the small American dream. It is in that jeep, I can still feel him with me, His kind heart smiling down at me, telling me to enjoy the ride, the ride of life, and to make each moment my own.

For now, My Cj4 needs brakes, a tune up and probably a few spark plugs. You can imagine brakes are a pretty big deal, not like they are making those brakes anymore. There is a leak in the oil pan and well, For right now, it is not drivable. I will sit in the garage, In my jeep, close my eyes my hand on the Tallest Stick shift. It still makes me smile to know where I am is where my grand pa would also be, if he was here today. I am a girl, and I love my jeep, more than any brand new fast car out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment