Search This Blog

February 29, 2012

Catfish–a Virtual Mess

 

After watching the Movie “Catfish”  Again, It is a very good movie if you have not seen it,  it occurred to me, how true of a story it is. 

The internet is full of “Fish” or virtual personalities,  some of us are cod and others are "the “Catfish”  The story of these fish in a short version is like this

Around the turn of the century Cod was very popular, It was wanted across the country, attempting to freeze it, made the fish tasteless and mushy even at the fastest transportation at the time, By train.  They then tried to keep them in large aquariums on the train But being in there as long as they were,they were not healthy and The taste was still Insufficient.  Someone looked into the lifecycle of the cod and found out that the Natural enemy of the cod was the catfish, by adding a few catfish to the tanks, the cod would stay mobile and moving, they stayed fresher fighting for their life against the “Enemy” so to speak.

So who is the “Catfish” and who is the cod? 

I am not sure anyone is always one or the other, but I think we tend to swap roles,  without the catfish, we would never learn a lesson, without the cod, we would never have a good friend.  Nether is dispensable, They are both needed for survival.

Back to the movie. 

So this movie is basically and internet relationship gone wrong, it is not heart warming as much as it is WTF… By the end, We feel for Nev for the emotional investment he had in her, but then you feel for his “Virtual” friend for her Reality she was trying to escape.  I really do not think she really lied about how she felt, But I think she could not be who he “thought” she was. 

Ether way she toyed with his feelings, and in the end he did forgive her, although I doubt he will ever trust anyone online again. 

It amazes me how attached you can get to someone you do Not know, never touched and may never meet, but it does happen, and really, I am guilty.  I have gotten attached, and it does suck, when the realization comes that your emotions are just that, Yours… and they will not be shared, It is definitely heart wrenching. 

For the catfish in my life, I would say thank you, but really, Nah, you would not appreciate it it regardless, I cannot say toying with people online is amusing.  My life is busy as it is, so I am out of the “aquarium”  so to speak, leaving the Catfish to other cod, Yes, maybe it is good that there is something to keep you on your toes, but at the same time, the catfish should wear a sign. 

No comments:

Post a Comment